Happy Wednesday! The weeks are still flying by over here 🙂
It’s time for another Meet Madison post! Today I’ll be telling you all about what I’m doing in school and what I plan on doing when I graduate.
I’m currently enrolled in Arizona State University, studying Exercise and Wellness with a concentration in Health Promotion. I also plan on adding a minor in Nutrition and Healthy Living next semester. I’m currently trying to get on track to graduate in three years rather than four. At the moment, I’m on track to graduate in 3 and a half years. I’ll be taking 6 credit hours this summer and 16 (considering stretching it to 18 or 19) next semester. I’ll also likely take summer school next summer as well.
ASU just opened a new major, Health Promotion and Education. I might be switching to this in the future, because it would prepare me to take the exam to become a Certified Health Education Specialist. The classes are almost identical, so it shouldn’t put me behind at all if I do decide to switch.
My interest in preventative health care has grown over the past few years. I would much rather prevent people from getting ill than treat them when they’re already ill. Mad props to ALL the doctors out there that can handle it! I go back and forth when considering what I want to do with my life. Here’s a few of my top choices:
- Stay at home mom. This is honestly my “dream job.” When people ask me what I want to do, this is usually what I’ll tell them (but it does depend on who is asking). My mom stayed home with me, and I’m truly thankful that she was able to. It’s not that I don’t want to work; I just would love to be able to stay home to raise my kids, at least for the first few years. If I could work from home, that would be even better! I would love see if I’ll be able to someday make a career out of blogging, but only time will tell. Freelance writing also interests me.
- Wellness Coordinator/Director. If my situation does not allow me to be a stay at home mom, I think that I would like to be a wellness coordinator. I find corporate fitness especially interesting. I would love to be able to put together programs for the employees at a company. Even working at a wellness center or gym sounds like it could be a good job!
- Personal Trainer. I don’t actually want personal training to be my only job, but it is a certification that I would like to obtain in the near future. I know that I will need it for other certifications and positions, plus it would look nice to add to a resume. If I was going to work solely as a personal trainer, I think I would want to work with a specific population, such as the elderly or cancer patients.
- Certified Health Education Specialist. This is a certification that I will be getting when I am ready to graduate. I’m not sure what exactly I’ll do with it (or if I’ll do anything at all with it) because I’m not exactly sure what all of the options are! Luckily one of my health professors is a CHES and is willing to answer any questions that we may have.
- Cancer Exercise Trainer. I think that I would love, love, love to do this. The American College of Sports Medicine provides the certification. Cancer patients have a special place in my heart. I lost one grandfather to lung cancer, my other grandfather just finished treatment for bladder cancer, and four years ago my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I really like the idea of training and working with a specific population, especially this one. I will definitely be looking into it after I graduate!
So there you have it! That’s just a little bit about my dreams and plans for my future. I still have no idea where I’ll end up. Some days it terrifies me, but some days I’m okay with it. I’m learning more and more to go with the flow and let God lead me where he wants me.
I’ll catch ya tomorrow, have a great Wednesday!