Hey guys! It’s already Wednesday..this is my second-to-last week of school (before finals), so I’m glad it’s movin’ along.
Today I’ll be talking to you about FOOD! I really love food, so this is kind of exciting for me 😉
When I was little, I was a very picky eater. I mean, I seriously lived off of fish sticks, bagel bites, and chips. I don’t blame my parents; they definitely tried their best to get me to eat better food, but I just would.not.do.it. I hated vegetables (I’m still not all that fond of them), and I can’t ever remember eating fruit. I loved dessert (no surprise there!). The only thing I had going for me was that I drank at least a glass of milk everyday. Now, I realize now that dairy probably isn’t great for you. The more I read about it, the more I want to cut back on it. However, I like to contribute the fact that I have never had a broken bone to milk…and I also never got cavities until I stopped drinking it.
This was a typical dinner for me!
During my junior high years, I would consume lots of soda (!!), pizza, cookies, chips, you get the idea. To show you how bad it was, when I was in 6th grade, I woke up and drank a Dr. Pepper every morning. I must have had a good metabolism, because I was never even close to overweight. That being said, I was far from healthy! My 8th grade year, I pretty much shot my metabolism. I got nervous eating around people (hello, anxiety), so I would typically not each lunch at school. I didn’t eat very much in general, actually. At the time, eating breakfast made me feel sick. I would then have a bag of chips, or something of the like, for lunch, snack when I got home, then eat whatever my mom made for dinner. Don’t forget the soda thrown in there. This resulted in fatigue and terrible headaches.
When I finally started eating somewhat normally again, I began to gain weight. I suppose that’s what I get for messing with my body the way that I did. My freshman and sophomore years of high school, I didn’t pay attention to what I ate. It just didn’t matter to me. Christmas break of my junior year is when I found Pinterest, and all of the “fitspiration” that it offered. I was immediately inspired by the pictures of thin women and decided to make a change. The thing is, I went about it the wrong way. I may go into detail about this at a later date, but for now I’ll leave it at this: I started seriously restricting what I ate, to the level where it was extremely unhealthy. After a few months, I began binge eating. I struggled with disordered eating for close to two years.
Now, I try to eat everything in moderation. I still struggle, and I definitely go through phases with nutrition. To make it a little fun, I’ll give you a list of my favorite foods!
- Peanut butter. If I had to choose between chocolate and peanut butter, I would choose peanut butter. The nut butter is just so versatile! It can be paired with all types of food, including fruit, vegetables, sweets, and salty things! Gotta love it! Plus, it is good for you in moderation, providing healthy fats and protein.
- Chocolate. I’m guessing you saw that one coming. I loveeeee chocolate. It is my all time favorite dessert. Period.
- Strawberries. Strawberries are my favorite type of berries, and arguably my favorite fruit! To ensure that I will actually eat the strawberries that I buy, I typically wash them and slice them all up on a single night and store them in an airtight container. Then, they’re ready for me to grab whenever I need them!
I would have to say that those are my top 3 favorites. Of course I LOVE lots of other food, but probably not as much as the ones listen above! Some other things that I love: pizza, white cheddar popcorn, ICE CREAM, apples, and bread. Notice that there are not very many healthy foods on that list! This is part of why it’s hard for me to focus on my nutrition. Because I love a lot of not-so-healthy foods, I am constantly tempted by them. It is something I am learning to manage as I go along!
Some foods that I DON’T like:
- Alfredo. Bleh! I hate alfredo sauce. HATE. It’s kind of a bummer, because it’s Ben’s favorite food, but I just can’t do it. I don’t even like the smell of it!
- Cream cheese. This also means that I don’t really like cheesecake, UNLESS it’s chocolate. I am a huge fan of chocolate cheesecake. As for regular cheesecake and cream cheese, no thank you!
- Mayonnaise. Not a fan. If it accidentally gets put on a sandwich, I can get through it. However, as for chicken salad, it is a huge no-go for me. I just don’t enjoy it. Speaking of condiments…
- Condiments. I know, I’m so weird. I eat essentially everything dry. I don’t like mayo (obviously), mustard, or ketchup. I use ranch for my fries, and I eat sandwiches either dry or with Italian dressing.
- Beans. I actually crack myself up when I talk about my hatred of beans! I just really can’t stand them. Green beans are the ONLY beans I will eat. It gives me the heebie geebies just talking about baked beans, black beans, and re-fried beans. I have found one way that I will eat black beans, and that’s in black bean salsa. Other than that, NOPE!
Those are the foods that are big “no’s” for me. There are other foods that I don’t particularly enjoy, but I can get them down. Clearly I still have a lot of my picky eating habits in me! I’m just thankful that I have found an interest in nutrition and learning how to nourish my body.
So there you have it! You now know a little bit about what I like (and don’t like) to eat!
What are your favorite foods?
What are your LEAST favorite foods?
Do you consider yourself a picky eater?