Heyyyy guys. Happy Friday! My plans for the weekend are work, work and more work. I worked last night, I work tonight, and I work tomorrow night. I might even see if they’ll let me come in Sunday, too. While I’m not at work, I’ll be doing homework!
I wanted tell you guys how I’ve been feeling about yoga these days. I’m having some conflicted thoughts that I thought I’d let you in on!
- I’m loving the (long-term) progress that I’ve made. It can be hard to see progress from week to week, but as I compare myself each week to week one, I can see that I have indeed made a lot of progress on my poses.
- I love practicing yoga. I like doing yoga sessions throughout the week. I’ve loved being able to progress from beginner, to intermediate, and finally to advanced practices. While I still can’t do a lot of the poses “properly,” I have found myself improving a lot in multiple areas (flexibility, strength, balance, etc.).
- Now that I’m training for a half marathon, I won’t have a lot of time for yoga. This is just simply a fact. If you look at my half marathon training plan, you’ll see that I have to run 4 days a week, have one rest day, and one cross day. That leaves one day open for yoga. I do plan on doing yoga every Friday, but it seems that that will be the only I can fit it in.
- It hurts my back! All these bends I’ve been doing are definitely challenging my back. I can’t tell if the pain is a “good pain” (my back stretching and getting stronger) or a “bad pain” (actually doing damage to my muscles or spine). I’ve read some information about how over-flexion or over-extension of the spine (which there is a TON of in yoga), may not cause immediate painful effects, but can do some serious long-term damage. Right now I’m weighing the pro’s and con’s of continuing with my poses that I feature on the blog every week.
- I plan on continuing doing yoga. Whether or not I continue with the backbends I mentioned above, I will still continue to practice yoga. Ideally, I would like to practice into old age. I think yoga works wonders for balance, flexibility, strength, and mental health. I think it’s something that everyone can benefit from.
- I am not sure if I will continue with the weekly yoga updates. If I’m taking a break from the backbends, I’m not really sure if there’s a point to doing the yoga updates! I’m considering switching to “Half Marathon Training Update,” since it’s going to be the focus of my fitness for the next few months.
That’s about it for today! I hope you guys have a great weekend 🙂